subtext

Keep track of me while I study at LSE!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Moving

This past weekend I took a trip to the best city on earth: Amsterdam. and we also went to Bruges for a day.
To sum up the trip  in one sentence: I am pissed that I had to leave.
The city was soooo cool and pretty and different, unlike anywhere else I have ever been. I will show you why.

 Pretty shopping street at night
 Everyone rides bikes. And piles them up everywhere. And if you stand in the middle of a bike path and dont realize it, you will be hit or yelled at within 1 minute. Talk about efficient training.
 Central station and old palace where the king lived back in the day.
 New palace that was built for the last king and now is a shopping mall.
 Main canal through the Pritzengracht
 Tulip markets!

more good looking buildings on the water.
 
This is where I am moving 

So that's the scenery. And if you are not bored yet and want more,  I will give details of the itinerary and all the cool things we did. 

Day One: TRAVEL DAY :(

 Took a ferry from Dover England to France and then a bus to Amsterdam (we were with a tour group)
 "Famous" white cliffs of Dover. I dont know if this is acually well known. but it was cool. not as cool as it could be it if wasnt 8am
 When we got to Amsterdam, we went into the city to start exploring, and obviously we had to go to a coffee shop! (that's what the places that are allowed to sell weed are called)
 We walked around Leidseplein and went to a few bars. it was funnnn!

Day 2: TOURIST DAY!
 We went to the Anne Frank house (where she hid during WWII) and saw the secret attic and her original diaries. I wansn't to excited to go at first, but the museum was SO cool, and we really enjoyed the exhibit. Definitely glad we woke up early to get there and avoid the lines!
 We had lunch at a dutch restaurant (we needed to have the full experience!) and I got this tasty dutch pancake with strawberries. yumm
 Then we went to the Heineken Factory. They stopped making Heineken beer there in the 80's so now it is a museum basically, you go through it and see how it is made and the history behind the company. You can taste the beer at all the different stages of brewing, when the oats are boiled, when the hops are added, when the yeast is added and at the end when it is fermented and bottled. It was equally nasty at every stage. Who ever thought it would be a great idea to boil and roast random dry plants and then drink it?
 Our next stop was the Van Gogh museum. They had something like 400 Van Gogh paintings, including my favorite "Sunflowers" which I saw three times (kept going back!), some of his well known self portraits and a ton of other stuff that was also cool. They also had some Gogan and Monet stuff, it was a great exhibit, and they organized all of Van Gogh's stuff by date, so you could see his progression through the colors and stuff that he painted starting from when he was kinda normal, to when he got crazy and depressed. All the paintings at the end were basically black. ha
 We made a pit stop at the "I am Amsterdam" sign. sooo touristy.
 And we ended the day with a pub crawl through the Red Light District! It's an interesting place...
Kinda ironic there were a ton of swans in the canal right in the middle of the Red Light District.

Day 3: BRUGES!
We left Amsterdam (I was gonna cry) in the morning to head out to Bruges before we went back to London. 
MORE PICS PLEASE.
 Saw the church with a Michelangelo mural on the ceiling
 Saw the clocktower from "In Bruges" yay for Colin Ferrell
 Walked around the town center
 Went to one of the hundreds (not exaggerating) of chocolate shops
Chose where I will live when I retire and move out of Amsterdam

OK. This has gone on long enough. I have a lot more pics, but I wont bother you with them since you already practically deserve a medal for making it through this entire post.

1 comment:

  1. I want to make happy times of travels with you

    ReplyDelete